OISS Hours and Access (3.19.2020)
OISS remains open, but with changes to our normal processes to help limit health risks to the students and scholars we serve, and to our staff.
- OISS staff are working normal business hours, from 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm, Monday through Friday.
- The OISS lobby will be open from 1-3pm each day for document pickup only. If there is an emergency, students can contact OISS at 517-353-1720.
- We strongly encourage students to request shipping documents locally through USPS or campus mail, and internationally through eShip Global.
Transition to online advising
Moving forward, students will have two online options for meeting with an OISS advisor. Please make sure you point all immigration-related questions to OISS, including questions about travel.
- 20-minute Zoom video conference sessions, scheduled with an advisor
- Offered between 9:00am-11:00am and 3:00pm-5:00pm, Monday through Friday
- Meant for topics such as: OPT, CPT, change of status, health insurance
2. Live Chat Advising
- 15-minute text conversation sessions, live with an advisor
- Offered 1:00-3:00pm, Monday through Friday
- Meant for topics such as: travel questions, Reduced Course Load
*Please Note: OISS advisors will accept scanned documents and e-signatures from academic advisors.
OISS Events & Outreach
OISS social events are suspended along with the suspension of in-person classes:
- Coffee Hour has been suspended until fall semester 2020.
· The International Scholar Showcase has been cancelled.
· The OISS Awards Ceremony scheduled for April 3rdhas been cancelled.
· Please follow OISS on social media and check our website for updates and ways to connect during this time.
CVIP promotes mutual cross-cultural education, understanding, appreciation, and friendship between the greater Lansing community and Michigan State University’s international students, scholars, and their families through a variety of programs and services. The programs and services are free and open to all MSU international students and scholars.
ISSP is a free program supported by Morneau Shepell and MSU for international students and scholars that is created to support them while living in the United States. International students may call or chat with an International Student & Scholar Support Advisor at any time (24 hours a day/7 days a week) to receive immediate support or to schedule an appointment in the future. They can connect with an advisor who speaks their languages and understands their culture, including the challenges they face while living in the United States.
If you need to get your documents translated, there are more than 30 translating agencies around Michigan that can help to translate any non-English document you have.
International student clubs are registered clubs at MSU that consist of clubs from all over the world.
The ELC at MSU provides academic and non-academic programs that help international students to learn English in an English speaking environment.
7. Forms Index
Any form from OPT, I-20, driver’s license, SEVIS, visa, and everything that international students need, can be accessed using the link.
Moving to a place that is outside of your comfort zone is very challenging. Everything is new and you are unfamiliar to it. This article from MSU OISS can help international students to make their transition process to both United States and MSU a little bit smoother and enjoyable.